Bigass Update

I arrived home last night after a great week at home and have lots and lots to tell!

I flew home Tuesday evening and arrived just around the same time as my sister. Dad picked us up at the airport and took us home where we slept in the same bedroom and talked all night (kind of like an extended sleepover!)

Of note, I finished my first summer tank top on the plane ride to LA.

The Pattern: Ribby Tank from ChicKnits

The Yarn: Incense from

The Needles: US 6

The Verdict: I really like the way this tank is structured and it fits very well. It’s a simple pattern, and a little boring to knit, but produces a really simple, elegant tank. I love the color, but the yarn itself is a wool/bamboo/silk blend that I think will be a little heavy for summer. Regardless, it was a pretty quick knit and I know I will wear it!

Wednesday was my play day. I got up early and visited a yarn shop close to my parents house where I found some great Noro Matsuri – 87% cotton. I think I’m going to use it for a bias tank top. The best part was that I had a gift card!

Then I headed up to West LA where I got a pedicure and then met my friends for sushi lunch at our favorite place. The waitress gave me a huge hug and knew my order right off the bat. It was a little like coming home to Cheers again. Catching up with everyone was great, and it didn’t even feel like I had left! After lunch I went by the old job and visited with people. It was nice to see everyone, but I’m pretty happy with my choice to have left there.

After that, I headed over to A Mano for an afternoon of fun with yarn. They had some beautiful new yarns in the shop which I got to touch and buy. I also picked up a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman’s The Opinionated Knitter, which I can’t wait to read! I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening knitting, catching up, and picking out a few samples to bring back to the midwest and knit up. By the time I left I had to add a third bag to my luggage to get all the yarn home. Ooops! I capped off the night by having dinner with my Knitmeister S at our usual Brazilian place. The waitstaff remembered me there too!

I have to say that Wednesday was a great day catching up with friends, but it was also a little depressing. I think it’s finally hitting me that I’m not the LA girl anymore, and that I really don’t live there any more. It’s so hard with such special friends there and places that know me. I really like Kansas so far, and I’ve met some wonderful people here, but it’s weird because now I feel like I have two homes, and I don’t really belong in the one in LA.

Thursday dawned bright and early as Mom, the Li’l Sis and I headed out to spend a day doing assorted wedding stuff. We started inauspiciously by getting stuck in a lot of traffic and a freeway closure and being 30 minutes late to our first appointment. The day got better though – we visited 2 invitation designers and 2 florists and should be able to get everything we need from these visits. We even managed to get in a good deli lunch, some midafternoon iced coffee treats and make it home by 5:30. I spent the evening in with my parents, discussing wedding details and catching up.

Friday morning was gown day! We headed over to the bridal store around 11am to pick up my gown. The gown fits almost perfectly and it looks like it will only need some alterations around the bust line. I’m still in love with the dress and can’t wait to get it altered to fit (that’s up for June). Now all I need to do is put together a veil and shoes and I’m dressed for the big day!

Friday afternoon we managed to go to lunch, all 4 of us, at a great local Mexican place. I can’t remember the last time I was able to eat lunch with my parents and my sister on a weekday.

After lunch, I headed out for a doctor’s appointment, and a bit more wedding shopping, and then back up to West LA to see friends and attend Bel’s birthday party! Other than managing to scrape my dad’s car (ick, definite worst part of the weekend), I had a good time seeing old friends and catching up, not to mention snacking on great nibbles (Knitmeister S’s brownies are to DIE FOR!).

Saturday was the first day of Passover and we celebrated it family style, with my aunt and uncle and young cousin coming to visit. It was a nice last evening in town, with good eats and good company.

Sunday morning was an early one as we dropped my sister at the airport and I had breakfast with my parents before heading out myself. The day was mostly spent flying and I arrived home late last night to lots of laundry, and some growing plants. Today is a catchup and errand day and tomorrow I start another job. More details on that as I learn them!


2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. e
    Apr 22, 2008 @ 17:16:00

    Random note: The tank could also pass as a vest in the wintertime. 🙂 Just a thought.


  2. PlazaJen
    Apr 22, 2008 @ 18:37:00

    Well it sounds like you definitely had more fun that bleahs (yech on the car thing!) and it def. was a full moon! See you soon! (I wanna see dress pics!)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: