Sophisticated

So I’ve been doing a bit of driving around the country. We went to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving and no it wasn’t sunny and room temperature, but it was a mite warmer than here. Since returning home from our adventures the temperature has dropped considerably and we had flurries yesterday. All the more reason why I had to ignore my holiday knits and cast on for a warm handspun cowl RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE.

This past summer I joined a fiber club run by SpinningAwesomeGood. For one of our selections, she was inspired by Vincent Van Gogh’s Starry Starry Night, which happens to be my favorite painting of all time. What I received looked like this:

When I got my wheel, this was the first fiber I spun on it. I was dying to see what I could create. I ended up with a bulky yarn and about 100 yards.

I knew what I wanted was a warm squishy cowl. When I got home the other night and the house was cold, I promptly wound up the yarn and got to knitting. Today I was rewarded with a finished cowl:

And even though it was inspired by Van Gogh, it also reminds me a bit of Monet’s Water Lilies; the stitches almost seem to echo his brush strokes.

Apparently this is one sophisticated, arty cowl. And I couldn’t love it more.

Advertisements

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. pip
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 19:31:23

It’s beautiful… it reminds me of Monet’s Water Lilies too! I love the way you show the fibre, the yarn you spun and the knitting πŸ™‚

2. Chery
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 21:58:50

Beautiful! Love those colors.

3. Lynda the Guppy
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 22:23:47

When I was about 5 or 6 I went to the Norton Simon museum with my mom and cousins. Van Gogh’s Starry Night was on loan there, and at some point during the day, I got away from everyone. Mom went running through the museum looking for me, only to find me sitting on the floor staring at Starry Night. The guard was keeping an eye on me and said he’d never seen a child sitting so still for so long. I was completely entranced. So entranced, in fact, that my mom couldn’t get me away. LOL She spent the rest of the visit to the museum sitting with me in front of this Van Gogh,

I’ve been a Van Gogh fan ever since. That painting in particular, but I love all his work.

4. kippi
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 23:33:46

buwhahahaha! room temperature! I say that too and my family makes fun of me.

LOVE the cowl. It does, indeed, look like Monet.

5. Lynn
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 20:10:42

Very lovely!!! Just an FYI — all three panels of the Water Lilies paintings will be at the Nelson this spring.

6. Jodi
    Dec 03, 2010 @ 01:01:23

I love to see the transformation between fleece, yarn, and FO. Your cowl is beautiful.